Approval of Massive EU-China Investment Deal Unlikely

Reading Time: < 1 minute

EU sanctions being in place against China, and vice versa, have doused the approval prospects for a massive investment deal between the two sides, says European trade commissioner Valdis Dombrovskis, who said the issue is not conducive for ratification.

Observers point out the deterioration of the relations between Brussels and Beijing, starting in March when Western powers including the EU placed sanctions against officials in the Chinese province of Xinjiang, where human rights violations are alleged against the region’s Uighur minority. Beijing’s counter-sanctions targeted 30 Europeans, including EP members.

The two sides had undergone 7 years of negotiation before December of last year when they agreed to the Comprehensive Agreement on Investment (CAI) whose negotiations were led by Germany, which at the time held the European Council presidency.

Source: Euractiv

CET Editor

Recent Posts

US soldiers die during Lithuania training exercise

A total of three US soldiers were found dead while a fourth remains missing after…

2 days ago

Trump-Putin detente could revive Nord Stream 2

The US and Russia are discussing the potential reopening of the Nord Stream 2 gas…

2 days ago

Dodik dodges arrest warrant, surfaces in Moscow

Republika Srpska (RS) President Milorad Dodik announced that he had arrived in Moscow on Monday…

2 days ago

CEE startups outpace Western Europe rivals

Startups in Central and Eastern Europe (CEE) are growing faster than in Western Europe and…

2 days ago

Gender pay gaps remain in CEE, despite EU efforts

Romania and Poland have gender pay disparities among the lowest in the EU, according to…

1 week ago

Europe’s trilemma: rearmament, green transition, competitiveness

European leaders met in Brussels on 20 March to confront a mounting policy dilemma: how…

1 week ago